8Simple Payback Period
Alberta Municipal Place (AMP) received the BOMA BESt level two certification for retrofits, processes, and renovations made since AUMA acquired the building. Constructed in 1982, this 63,304 ft2 three-story building was purchased by the AUMA in 2009.
Through significant renovation, Alberta Urban Municipalities Association’s headquarters has become a model for how to retrofit an existing building and bring it up to current energy efficiency and sustainability standards:
- Energy efficiency was the core guiding principle for the retrofit
- Energy efficiency upgrades were made throughout the building including the areas of building lighting, air and water heating and cooling systems, ventilation, insulation, weatherization, and energy management
- On-site energy generation was made possible by installing solar PV, wind, and cogeneration units
- 80% of materials removed during construction were recycled
- 19% of new material was sourced locally within an 800 kilometre radius of the building
The AMP retrofit demonstrates the impact that energy efficiency upgrades can produce. Since the retrofit was completed in 2010, the following cumulative savings have been realized:
- over $700,000 in utility cost-savings;
- over 50% reduction in electricity and natural gas use; and
- over 55% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
The Municipal Climate Change Action Centre is a partnership of the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association and Rural Municipalities of Alberta. The Municipal Climate Change Action Centre provides funding, technical assistance, and education to help Alberta municipalities adopt energy efficiency and renewable energy solutions.
Participating in our award-winning programs makes sense. We have substantially grown our service offerings and opportunities for participants to save money and reduce their environmental impact. It’s a win-win.Trina Innes, Executive Director
Alberta municipalities are generating their own energy, purchasing electric vehicles, completing energy audits, setting greenhouse gas emission reduction targets and more. Take action today with our funding programs.
We offer one-on-one advisory services, as well as webinars, workshops, and other support to help municipalities reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and make progress on energy management through our capacity building programs.