Become a member of the Partners for Climate Protection program to take action on climate change.
Why become a member
Members participating in this program will:
- find cost savings,
- reduce greenhouse gas emissions,
- develop climate change action plans,
- implement energy management initiatives,
- improve local resident’s health with better air quality,
- and create jobs.
Municipalities get FREE support through the membership, including:
- one-on-one advice from technical experts on climate change mitigation,
- access to energy management tools, templates, workshops, and webinars,
- municipal case studies highlighting lessons learned from across Canada.
- exclusive networking opportunities to learn from other municipalities in Alberta.
Municipalities are guided through a 5-step Milestone Framework.
The Milestone Framework
From creating an inventory, to setting and reaching your emissions reduction target, each step moves you closer to achieving that goal:
- Create a Baseline Emissions Inventory and Forecast
- Set Emissions Reduction Targets
- Develop a Local Action Plan
- Implement the Local Action Plan
- Monitor Progress and Report Results
We will support you by providing an online tool to help you through the framework.
Members are required to:
- Move through the Milestone Framework within 10 years of joining,
- Report on progress at least once every 2 years,
- Actively participate in program activities and share your experience with other network members,
- Email us if your contact information changes.
Tip: Schedule a meeting online with our staff to discuss milestone progression and receive feedback on climate action initiatives.
Join in 4 steps
Step 2: Print this joining resolution, and have your council adopt and sign it. It clarifies the responsibilities and requirements of membership.
Appoint 1 staff member and 1 elected official to be your main contacts. Let them know they are responsible for this file.
Email your adopted council resolution, along with the staff member’s and elected official’s contact information to email@example.com.
No municipality is too big or too small to participate.
400 Canadian municipalities participating
66% of Canadians are represented
25 Alberta municipalities participating
31 milestones completions awarded
The Partners for Climate Protection program is administered by ICLEI — Local Governments for Sustainability and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. They recruit organizations across Canada to be Regional Climate Advisors to help administer the program. The Municipal Climate Change Action Centre is the Regional Climate Advisor for Alberta.
Subscribe to the seasonal newsletter
Keep up to date with the Partners for Climate Protection Program Connector newsletter.