First-time Applicant Bonus Now Available!
The Alberta Municipal Solar Program (AMSP) provides financial rebates to Alberta Municipalities who install grid-connected solar photovoltaic (PV) systems on municipally owned facilities or land and complete public engagement for the project. For detailed information on eligibility requirements, available funding, and how to apply, please refer to the AMSP Guidebook.
Who can participate?
- Municipalities: all designated municipalities within the Province of Alberta are that meet the definition of “municipality” as per Section 1(1)s of the Municipal Government Act.
- Community-related organizations: non-profit community-related organizations (CROs) are eligible to participate if the project is located on a municipally owned facility or land. While CROs are eligible to participate, the Municipality must be the signatory to the funding agreement and all reimbursements made under the program will be directed to the municipality. Such instances will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
What types of projects are eligible to receive funding through the AMSP?
- The system must be located on a facility or parcel of land wholly owned by the participating Municipality;
- The system must be paid for and wholly owned by the participating Municipality;
- The system must be grid-connected and compliant with the Government of Alberta’s Micro-generation Regulation (AR 27/2008);
- The system must be greater than or equal to 2 kilowatts (kW DC PV array capacity);
- The system must be designed and installed by a qualified installer (not self-installed) who is a member of either the Solar Energy Society of Alberta (SESA) or the Canadian Solar Industries Association (CanSIA), and all system components must meet the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) requirements for electrical safety or an equivalent certification to applicable Canadian standards;
- The system must be a new installation, where “new” is defined as installations that have an interconnection approval from the wire service provider signed no earlier than October 1, 2018. Systems which signed AMSP Implementation Funding Agreements under the first round of the AMSP but are not yet completed will be rebated as per the terms of their agreement;
- All system components must be new and cannot have been used in an energized solar array at any point in the past;
- The same parcel/property (based on site ID) must not have received an incentive for a solar PV system under another provincial solar incentive program;
- Expansions to existing systems installed prior to the launch of the updated AMSP are eligible, however only the expansion portion of the system is eligible for funding.
What types of projects are ineligible to receive funding through the AMSP?
- Projects that are eligible for any other provincial solar incentive program
- Projects located on facilities or land owned by any other entity than a Municipality, including but not limited to the private sector, schools, universities, hospitals, and the provincial or federal governments;
- Projects located on temporary structures;
- Off-grid solar PV projects;
- Solar thermal projects;
How much funding is available?
Participants are eligible to receive a rebate per watt of total installed capacity ($/W), as per the table below. The rate tier is determined by the total installed capacity of a project submitted through a single AMSP Application.
|Total Installed Capacity (DC)||Rebate|
|10 kilowatts to <150 kilowatts||$0.75/watt|
|150 kilowatts to <2 Megawatts||$0.60/watt|
|2 Megawatts to 5 Megawatts||$0.55/watt|
The rebate provided by the MCCAC will not exceed 30% of eligible expenses.
Municipalities are eligible to submit multiple applications. To ensure equitable and geographic distribution of program funds, total funding distributed to a single Municipality is capped at $1,500,000, including any bonuses. AMSP funding issued to a Municipality prior to October 1st, 2018 will not be included in the calculation of the cap.
First-time Applicant Bonus
In order to encourage diverse participation in the AMSP, an additional bonus rebate of $0.25/watt is available to Municipalities that have not previously participated in the AMSP for their first project. The bonus rebate is applied for the first system only, where system is defined to mean a single solar PV system for which funding is requested through an AMSP Application, not multiple systems, and is calculated independently as a separate rebate in addition to the standard incentive.
The First-time Applicant Bonus will be capped at a maximum of $250,000.
Any Municipality who has already received an incentive through the AMSP for a completed Project, or has signed an AMSP Implementation Funding Agreement for a Project under construction and yet to be completed since the launch of the program on February 5, 2016 is not eligible for this bonus
All funding is issued after the MCCAC has verified that the project is complete. Funding is available on a first come, first served basis.
How do I apply?
Interested Municipalities are invited to submit an AMSP Expression of Interest as a first non-committal step.
Upon receiving EOI confirmation and approval from the MCCAC, please proceed to the AMSP Application.
Where do I find additional information?
Full program terms and conditions are available in the AMSP Guidebook.
Inquiries may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.