A place for community sport, health, and wellbeing, Genesis Place is home to Canada’s largest municipal rooftop solar array, a…
Communities like yours are lowering energy costs, generating immediate and long-term savings, improving infrastructure and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. It’s a win-win-win-win!
For more than 10 years, the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre – a partnership of the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association, the Rural Municipalities of Alberta and the Government of Alberta – has helped Alberta municipalities, non-profit organizations, and schools implement energy efficiency and renewable energy solutions.
Building energy resilient communities
$17M funding granted to 337 organizations
$49M of energy-related investments catalyzed
Here’s how we help you
“AUMA, in partnership with RMA, is proud to support strong, resilient and thriving communities. Through the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre, we’ve enabled $39 million in solutions to meet the needs of our changing world.”Barry Morishita, President, Alberta Urban Municipalities Association
- 2009 Alberta Urban Municipalities Association, Rural Municipalities of Alberta, and the Government of Alberta established the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre with $2M to design and deliver programs to address Alberta’s changing climate.
- 2014 Launched three energy efficiency programs for municipalities in Alberta with $4M in funding.
- 2016 Launched the first round of the Alberta Municipal Solar Program for municipalities with $5M in funding.
- 2017 Launched the Non-Profit Energy Efficiency Transition Program with $3M in funding.
- 2018 Received $54M to create and launch solar, energy efficiency and energy management funding programs.
- 2019 Launched and administered programs for solar, energy efficiency, energy management, community generation projects. Became the Regional Climate Change Advisor for Federation of Canadian Municipalities’ Partner’s for Climate Protection Program.
- 2020 Recognized by the Alberta Emerald Foundation for a decade of impact and became implementer for Alberta’s Clean Energy Improvement Program.
“AUMA is proud that it has supported over 100 municipalities by investing in their local economics through the Action Centre. These municipal projects protect the future of Alberta communities through renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions.”Dan Rude, CEO, Alberta Urban Municipalities Association
As part of the MCCAC’s Electric Vehicles for Municipalities (EVM) Program, the Town of Banff purchased a 2019 Chevrolet Bolt…
SMALL CHANGES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE
Over 100 municipal governments in Alberta created real savings and real change. City, Town, Village, Summer Village, County, Municipal District – no community is too big or too small to participate.
Upgrading lighting, thermostats, heating and ventilation systems, installing solar PV systems, implementing weatherization measures, integrating electric vehicles into the municipal fleet, and hiring an energy manager – it all adds up to millions of dollars in annual energy savings for Albertans.
“Rural Municipalities of Alberta is proud to see 12 megawatts of renewable energy installed across the province through the Action Centre. This is a perfect example of finding a balance between being economically responsible and environmental stewards.”Gerald Rhodes, Executive Director, Rural Municipalities of Alberta
Reaching Across Alberta
Renewable energy and energy efficiency investments reduce operating costs and greenhouse gas emissions.
Learn how communities across Alberta are improving energy resilience and keeping energy dollars circulating in the local economy.
These success stories show how communities are creating lasting change.
It makes sense to apply for our funding:
“With the help of the Action Centre, we’re able to offset a significant portion of our current energy consumption without having to take dollars away from another area. Solar is an investment in the town’s future and from an environmental and financial perspective, it just makes sense.”Mayor Ralph Leriger, Town of Westlock, Alberta Municipal Solar Program participant
We’re here to help
With one-on-one support, we provide expert advice to help you complete energy efficiency and renewable energy projects.
Strengthening local economies
437 full time jobs created
$61M in lifetime energy savings for the next 20 years
We’re helping communities save.
“When the partnership between AUMA and RMA started the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre, our vision was to help municipalities address a changing climate and find cost savings. We are proud to see over 500 projects completed.”Al Kemmere, President, Rural Municipalities of Alberta
Transitioning to a low-carbon future
594 renewable energy and energy efficiency projects
388,864 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions (CO2e ) avoided for the next 20 years
14 MW of installed solar capacity including 37,000 solar panels
Take Action Today
Invest in energy-saving solutions with our support.
Last updated October 1, 2020