Nominate a staff member to become your municipality’s energy champion and better manage energy consumption to find cost-saving opportunities.
The Municipal Energy Champions Program helps small municipalities manage energy use. This program offers free support for municipalities interested in nominating staff members to become energy champions that add long-lasting capacity, positively influence operations, and identify opportunities for energy consumption reductions and cost savings.
Participating in this program will help your municipality:
- understand the importance of energy use and management,
- better track and manage municipal energy consumption,
- move forward in the energy planning process,
- see financing options to offset the costs of energy projects,
- learn how to identify opportunities for energy efficiency and renewable energy projects,
- develop an approach for energy management initiatives.
Pilot program results
Six municipalities were selected in 2019 to participate in the pilot program. The pilot program was a success, so we are opening it up again for another round. See who participated in the 2019 pilot program.
How it works
Municipal Energy Champions commit approximately 10 to 15 hours a month to complete the program steps within six months through webinars, workshops, phone calls, networking events, and more.
The program steps include:
- Baseline assessment.
- Energy management basics learning activity.
- Municipal energy information collection.
- Develop an energy profile and trend analysis.
- Understand energy consumption in buildings.
- Presentation on findings.
- Implementation planning and continuing success learning activity.
Tip: Read our blog post about how energy management works.
- Read the Guidebook.
- Register for the webinar on November 3 or on December 3 to learn more about the program.
- Submit a non-committal Expression of Interest by December 18, 2020.
- If selected by the Action Centre, you’ll sign a Letter of Commitment.
- Start the first step of the program in January 2021.
We will review each application and accept 10 municipalities to the program who need help with energy management. Make sure to fully explain why your municipality needs energy management help and how you would benefit from this program.
Submit a Expression of Interest
Apply to the Municipal Energy Champions Program before December 18