Receive funding to install solar on schools to generate power, teach students about renewable energy, and reduce your environmental impact.
Installing a solar PV system will:
- generate free power for the solar system’s entire 25+ year life,
- reduce your utility bills so you can reinvest those savings into other priorities across your schools,
- provide a practical learning experience about renewable energy and climate change for students,
- demonstrate your school authority’s commitment to sustainability and social responsibility.
Tip: Read our blog post about the three reasons why solar PV is right for your school.
As long as your school is within the province of Alberta, serves Kindergarten (K) and/or a set of grades 1-12, and reports to School Authorities classified as Public, Separate, Francophone, and Charter by Alberta Education, you are eligible to participate. Check your eligibility here.
Eligible School Authorities can submit multiple applications, but can only apply for funding up to $3 million. School Authorities can use up to $1.5 million towards new school construction projects.
School Authorities must engage students as part of the project.
Receive a rebate per watt of total installed capacity ($/W), up to 50% of eligible expenses, as per the table below.
Total Installed Capacity (DC)
10 kilowatts to <150 kilowatts
150 kilowatts to <2 Megawatts
2 Megawatts to 5 Megawatts
- Read the Guidebook and download the resources.
- Submit an Expression of Interest as a first non-committal step.
- Once contacted by the Action Centre, complete the Application Form.
Tip: No time? Choose a solar installer that will do this all for you.
See how schools across Alberta are participating.
130 solar PV modules installed
50kW of installed capacity
35 tonnes GHG emissions avoided annually
4 school authorities participating
Read how Canadian Rockies Regional School Division installed solar pv systems on two schools with funding from the Solar for Schools Program.
Save money – Save the planet. It’s a win-win.
If this program sounds right for your schools, apply now and start making a difference today!